CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

7.16.2011

Potty Training: Day 2

Yesterday was a doozy, oh my! Not just in terms of potty training, either, we had a long and strange day. Gabriel woke up dry again for the second night in a row and went pee in the potty first thing (yes!) He had a few accidents through the morning and afternoon, but nothing crazy. I on the other hand was getting worse and continued to be completely useless. 

I went to see my OB in the afternoon to follow up with this illness and to check the baby, Andy stayed home with G to continue with the training. My OB was concerned that I may have a kidney infection, which could be harmful to the baby, and sent me to the hospital for more extensive tests. This was at 3:30pm. So I headed home to tell Andy and grab a bite to eat before heading (alone) to the hospital while Andy continued the potty training. I was out the door by 5pm. 

What ensued when I left I can only recount second hand from Andy. Here goes. Gabriel announces he has to go poo poo in the potty and as Andy rushes him to the bathroom, he starts to go. He manages to get some of it in the potty, but some drops on the seat, to which he sits and squirms around trying to view the poo...you can imagine the mess this caused. Andy ends up putting him in the bath to clean him up, sits him at the table with a reward for pooping and heads to the bathroom to clean up the mess. Three minutes later, he hears "Daddy, pee pee!!" ... while he is not finished cleaning up the ginormous mess, he returns to the living room to find pee all over Gabriel, his booster seat and the floor. He rushes Gabriel to the bathroom, has to use the big potty for the first time since Gabriel's potty is still covered in poo, and gets G cleaned up again. Shortly after, another announcement of "Daddy pee pee!" but this time it's barely a dribble (no mess on the floor)...but still a change in underwear needed. Fourth pair of underwear in 20 minutes, and soon after he announces he has to go poo poo again. Andy still has not gotten a chance to clean up the poo in the bathroom and the pee in the living room, so Gabriel successfully gets all the poo in the big potty this time. Success! Andy at this point notices we are almost out of clean underwear and realizes he must do laundry before bedtime as Gabriel is literally wearing his last clean pair and it is barely 6pm (he has an 8pm bedtime).

Thankfully Gabriel sailed through the last two hours with no accidents, even while traveling back and forth to the laundry room and making a pit stop at the neighbors apartment to play with their cat and munch on some pistachios  He went pee in the potty one more time before bed and kept the underwear clean. His comment to Andy after story time as he was going to sleep was "Gabriel tired. Long day pee pee poo poo..." 

This morning he woke up dry, and has peed three times in the potty and pooped once with no accidents. In case you're wondering, Andy did get all of the mess cleaned up last night, and as for me, after being at the hospital for 6 hours they determined that I do not have a kidney infection (this is great news for the baby), but in fact I have kidney stones. Shocking. Their recommendation was to drink lots of water and take tylenol for pain. Really, thanks. So not so good news for mama, but at the least the baby is doing great and not in any harm. They did a thorough exam of him and he is perfect :).

Last day of potty training is today. I think he's basically gotten it. Whew! Clearly we could not have chosen a worse time to do potty training (if we had known all of my drama would occur) but Andy has been great. Thank the Lord for my awesome, diligent, dedicated husband!!

1 comment:

Anna Bandy said...

Ashley, you have quite the husband! What a day. So glad that Gabriel is getting the hang of it and I will be praying for you and BBG2. So glad that he is okay, but my kidneys hurt just thinking of the pain you are in. I hope everything passes quickly.