Let me preface this by saying that PSA's may be more fittingly referred to as SBR's (soap box rants)...I mean not always, but a lot of times they are, and in this case it is. Many people refer to Andy and me as "hippie freaks" for our views on sustainability, eating uber-healthy, exercising, being one with nature, etc, etc...and we're cool with that. This "way of living" includes a complete ban of ALL pseudo-sugar cancers, er, I mean artificial sweeteners.
...saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame...especially sucralose...
So imagine our outrage when we found out that Pedialite has sucralose AND acesulfame in it! Are you kidding me, really the industry believes it is a good idea to give infants and young children artifical sweeteners? No. I actually meant to post about this a few months ago when we also found out that some gas drops we used for Gabriel (Little Remedies brand) also had sucralose...because that is necessary in gas drops. Come on people.
So what is the PSA? Read your labels very carefully my friends, you never know where the cancer ingredient has been slipped in! Geez!
...saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame...especially sucralose...
So imagine our outrage when we found out that Pedialite has sucralose AND acesulfame in it! Are you kidding me, really the industry believes it is a good idea to give infants and young children artifical sweeteners? No. I actually meant to post about this a few months ago when we also found out that some gas drops we used for Gabriel (Little Remedies brand) also had sucralose...because that is necessary in gas drops. Come on people.
So what is the PSA? Read your labels very carefully my friends, you never know where the cancer ingredient has been slipped in! Geez!
8 comments:
AMEN!!!!!!BOOOOOOOO Fake sugar!!!!!!!!!!
We don't like using artificial sweeteners and definitely don't want the kids to have it. Thanks for the heads up! Does that mean I'm a wanna be hippie freak? :) On a side note, we've stopped using our plastic storage containers and only use plastic cups when outside. I'm not afraid to serve my kids on glass plates and put their drinks in a real glass. I find it easier than searching for BPA-free plastics.
You go ahead and be a hippie freak too! :) I whole heartedly agree about not using plastic wherever we can, it's absurd what kind of things can be found in products for children and babies...we just did some research yesterday and found out how many products have carcinogens in them...like antibacterial soap and baby shampoo! Ack. Peace out my hippie friend, haha...
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009 Oct;55(1):1-5. Epub 2009 May 21.
An overview of the safety of sucralose.
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009 Oct;55(1):6-12. Epub 2009 Jun 28.
Expert panel report on a study of Splenda in male rats.
Caries Res. 1996;30(6):439-44.
Effect of sucralose--alone or bulked with maltodextrin and/or dextrose--on plaque pH in humans.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38 Suppl 2:S53-69.
Acute and subchronic toxicity of sucralose.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38 Suppl 2:S91-7.
A carcinogenicity study of sucralose in the CD-1 mouse.
Research is amazing, you should try it sometime.
AH ha, professor, we meet again.....You're right, research is amazing, and has it's place for certain, but even if artificial sweeteners made Gabriel poop out gold nuggets, I wouldn't give them to him on purpose...just don't like the idea of something UN-natural going in my child's body. Past artificial sweeteners have been proven to have a link to cancer and were at one time considered safe. Now, there has to be warnings on the side of packages to let you know that these sweeteners are in the product. I'm sure its a matter of time before sucralose joins that list. Whats wrong with plain old sugar anyway?... oh PS do you have anything on carcinogens in baby shampoo?!
Hi Ash,
It's Matthew. I didn't post the earlier remarks, but would agree with the literature. I've actually taught several units on this and have a bunch of the original articles saved somewhere. At any rate, the studies that linked aspartame to cancer were the equivalent of drinking insane amounts of diet coke per day (something on the order of 60,000 cokes...I don't recall the exact number but I used to make my classes do the calculations). To my knowledge this is currently NO link between these sweeteners and cancer (nor is there any link between autism and vaccines, etc). One major problem with sugar (besides the obesity problem, insulin resistance, leptin resistance, etc) is that all-cause mortality risk is increased over diet drinkers (I might need to search to find this again).
At any rate, I would ask your pediatrician about this stuff. And I'd be happy to send any of the literature I have.
Hope you are well.
mg
Oh man, then I wonder who that was? We were just being a little cheeky 'cause we thought it was you :). It's funny we avoid refined sugar just about as much as the artificial sweeteners for the exact reasons you state. We don't drink diet or regular soda, etc (seltzer water, yum). Anyway, we are well. We still need to get together for dinner sometime. Hope all is well with you too - Ash
Oh, I just saw the freak comment! No wonder you are going private. Creepy!!
Post a Comment