Today we had to say goodbye to Andy. This was a much harder day than I anticipated. The moving truck is completely packed, the apartment is empty, and it is time for Andy to leave New York and start his trek to Denver. We got up early this morning to take one last iconic family photograph in NYC, a scene on Staple St, which is in Tribeca.
Afterwards, we headed back to our old apartment to finish a few small things before leaving. We took some photos in our old apartment and then in front of the building.
I don't know why it is so hard to leave this place. It's just a building and walls, right? Maybe it's because we brought both of our boys home from the hospital to this apartment, this is where Gabriel has had all of his "firsts" (first Christmas and birthday, crawling, walking, speaking, etc, etc), and where Judah has started his firsts as well, where we became a family. But we still are a family, no matter where we go, so I can't quite determine what about leaving is so sad.
In any case, it was hard to walk out as a family for the last time. And as we stood on the corner, saying goodbye and "see you on the other side", our whole experience here in NY flashed through my mind. I thought back to our first days here in the City in 2006, all that we've done and seen together, the running and races we've done, the friends we made, the family we built. Andy and I have spent the better part of our marriage here in this City. And then, all of the sudden it seemed, I was saying goodbye.
Whew, tears were flowing for both of us as we embraced on the corner of West 89th St and Columbus Avenue. I turned to walk down 89th St, taking the boys to a playground, and Andy turned the opposite direction to go to the moving truck. Our time as a family in this City officially came to an end. Woe.
No comments:
Post a Comment