CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

7.06.2010

Mass Vacation_Part 4

Highest Point and Heading Home
Our last day of the trip, we decided to relax at the hotel in the morning and enjoy some breakfast and then just play it by ear. Well even though we had spent our vacation so far being quite active, I was itching for an actual run...so we found a nearby walking trail around a pond, loaded G up in the jogger and went out for an easy run...I ran 3 and Andy ran 8 (show off). Gabriel took a snooze. We headed back to the hotel, packed up the blazer and hit the road...two more stops on our trip. We had already planned to stop in Connecticut on our way home to visit our friends Jay and Leah, but we also looked at a map a realized we would pretty much be passing by the highest point in Rhode Island. Now, why is this of any consequence? Here is the short (kind of) story...

One day Andy and I needed to make a trip to our storage space in New Jersey, so we decided to make a day of it since we were paying the toll and stop by Target and a few other big box retailers absent from NYC. Well Gabriel fell asleep right before we pulled into the storage space, so I sat in the car with him while Andy unloaded the blazer and organized the new additions to our already bulging storage space. So what is a girl to do while sitting in a car with a sleeping baby and nothing to do? The only quiet activity I came up with was to flip through the atlas and look at state facts (what a nerd). So I noticed that each state had marked its highest peak, and I thought, how cool would it be to (over a lifetime) hike all of the highest points in each state? So I began going through the atlas state by state and recording the peak name and elevation. When Andy got back in the car, I whispered to him (G was still asleep) my idea and we decided to go for it. So this brings us to the present day...

Laughably, the highest point (HP) in Rhode Island is 812 feet (don't forget your oxygen!) and it is literally a rock in the middle of the woods off a 200 yard trail from a local highway. So we found the trail head, hiked the 200 yards and sure enough, found a rock in the woods with a marker that it was indeed the highest point in Rhode Island. HP # 1 for the Goodwins. We even signed the register to date that we had been there that day. Only 49 more to go!

So after we had a snack on the RI rock, we headed to Hartford to see our friends, which was great to catch up with them, then made the final leg of the trip home. I wouldn't say this was a relaxing vacation, but it was a lot of fun...next week we go to Charleston for the week!

The final installment of the mass vacation photos:

1 comment:

Jo Leigh said...

Oh my goodness, so I just finished catching up on your vacation posts! First off, thanks for the good chuckles! I laughed at the RI highest point...I could have even handled that one! I laughed at the journey to the beach thinking about how far I would have walked before heading back to the car to be mad about going back & paying $15! : ) You guys are so much fun & I loved reading about & seeing the pics from your vacation! I'm so glad that you guys had such a blast, & I hope you guys get some rest now that you are back home!