So I made it back to my moms group this week, a much needed outing for me ... and Gabriel. We sang a Sandra McCracken song, In Feast or Fallow (www.newoldhymns.com), and it really resonated with me so I thought I would take a moment to share why.
For those that may not realize it, the hymn is about God's provision in all stages of our life – for the harvest feast and the fallow ground ... there is a season for everything and all that. The first verse and chorus go like this:
When the fields are dry, and the winter is long
Blessed are the meek, the hungry, the poor
When my soul is downcast, and my voice has no song
For mercy, for comfort, I wait on the Lord
In the harvest feast or the fallow ground,
My certain hope is in Jesus found
My lot, my cup, my portion sure
Whatever comes, we shall endure
Whatever comes, we shall endure
I found myself overwhelmed by both the comfort that I know I can rest in the Lord in times of "fallow ground" and that I can be sure of my "lot or cup" in times of harvest feast. My season now, with the birth of Judah, is unquestionably the harvest feast. God has richly blessed our little family and I can't even believe how fortunate I am to have Gabriel and Judah (+ Andy of course). I fall in love with these two precious boys a little more every day. But, as with all things, we are not always in the harvest feast. This exact time last year we were in a time of fallow ground, grappling with the devastating loss of a pregnancy (something a scarce few even know about, until now I suppose). The disparity is unmistakable between the feelings I had this time last year, entering the Christmas season with a feeling of loss and hopelessness, with the emotions now one year later when I don't think I could possibly want anything more in my life right now. The Lord is faithful.
Admittedly, I was hesitant to share this post. But I really felt so moved by the hymn that I felt it right to share our experience, possibly sparking my own growth upon this reflection and disclosure. In whatever season you are in, or may find yourself in in the future, may you always remember that whatever comes, you shall endure.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing something so close to your heart.
what a testimony to our God being in control. love Sandra too.
Post a Comment