Sunday, November 1rst, I ran in the 40th Annual New York City Marathon. This was my third year in a row running the race and by far my most challenging: this was the first year training and running as a daddy (well, technically I was a daddy for last years race, but of course Gabriel was still being made and at that point we had no idea if he were a Gabriel or a Gabriella). My training leading up to this marathon was a far cry from last year’s race: typically I try to log about 60-70 miles a week, this year though, was around 20 miles a week. I need not explain why I had less time this year. But regardless, this is by far my favorite race so I ran despite my lack of training. Another added bonus this year, Ash's dad finally got in to the race after 3 years of trying to get in through the runner lottery. So, a run down of the race (If running talk bores you, scroll to the bottom and look at some pics) :
The morning started about 3:30 am, giving myself plenty of time to get to the start and be ready. Unfortunately, it was raining in the morning, although it was not supposed too. I was to meet Steve at 4:30 by his hotel down on
Quickly, we made our way to the
It’s a 30 minute ride across the bay, and as we dock, we are the first ones to jump off the boat and hurry out to the waiting shuttle buses. Again, we hit the first bus and only wait 2 minutes for it to fill up and go. Nice and smooth! We hit the runners village by 6:30 and have about 3 hours to kill be fore go time. Unfortunately, the tent in our area is already jam packed with runners so we can not get a dry spot. We have to settle for a spot under a tree that has lost most of its leaves. We put down a blanket and poncho and try to stay warm and dry through the drizzle. The free bagels and coffee helped out, and we managed to stay semi-dry.
By 9:40 I was off, Steve started 20 minutes later in wave 2. I didn't really have high expectations for this race, considering my lack of training this year. I did though, set out on a pace to let me finish in 2:35. By now the rain had stopped, but the chill set in along with the wind. I felt good for the first 7 miles, but soon felt fatigue in my legs and decided to back off the pace slightly, just so i wouldn't crash and burn. I continued on, enjoying the crowds and sights, on through Brooklyn and into
The most energetic part of the race is coming off the Queensboro bridge and arriving on 1rst avenue. The crowds were pumped up and going crazy. It was definitely a lift at a point where the miles start to take a toll. The part I was getting excited about was seeing Gabriel and Ash up at
Things got hard as I made my way to the
I ended up finishing in 2:46:22 and placing 251 out of more than 43,000 runners. I also ended up in the medical tent. I had given my all out there and had nothing left, not even energy to walk to get my bag. After 20 minutes, some fluids and oxygen, I walked out of the tent and found Ash and Gabriel waiting for me. It was a long hard day, but I finished with a good time, and got to see my 2 favorite people along the way!!! I'll definitely be doing it all again next year.
1 comment:
Way to go, Andy! So proud of you!!
Post a Comment