So we left SC yesterday for our trek back to the City; again dividing the drive up into two days. We were planning the short leg first with a stop over just into Virginia, then the final long leg today. You'd think, then, that I would be writing this from New York, but that would just be too easy. I won't go into a full tilt rant about our traveling woes, but it has been a very difficult trip thus far. I know, I know...you're saying "what did you expect, Ash, traveling with an infant?"
We got a late start yesterday and Gabriel was fussy from the start. At one point we spent an hour in a McDonald's parking lot in Latta, SC (wherever that is). We finally felt like we were making some progress (80 miles from the Virginia border) when several state troopers when zooming past us with their lights on (yep, a huge accident that closed I-95). Fabulous. We backtracked to some outlets we had just passed in order to pass the time while the accident congestion cleared up (Bonus: we got Gabriel his first pair of running shoes from the Nike outlet; more on that later). Two hours later we got back on the road, only to find out all of I-95 N was being detoured off the interstate, so it was a traffic nightmare. We did manage to pull up google maps in the car and navigate back roads around everyone else, but with Gabriel screaming to get out of his carrier, it didn't seem like much of victory. We pulled into the hotel around 10:30PM, exhausted and cranky. Gabriel had a rough night, which means we did too, and so we started our trip out this morning pretty ragged as well. Don't forget we have the two ya-hoo dogs to add to our frustrations.
Again, Gabriel was just not having being in his carrier. This time we spent an hour and a half in a Rite Aid parking lot somewhere north of Richmond. Once we finally got back on I-95, it was a parking lot (still 60 miles from DC). Andy and I were beginning to lose our sanity and just decided we couldn't take it anymore; plus we hated that Gabriel was so upset in his carrier. So here I am in a hotel in Washington DC, recovering from two days of driving with another 5 hours (at least) to go tomorrow...whew. We are determined to enjoy our little stop over. We went out walking and to dinner in the Georgetown area tonight,and tomorrow we'll probably take Gabriel riding around in his jogger to the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument before we jump back in the car. I hope we are more successful then.
We got a late start yesterday and Gabriel was fussy from the start. At one point we spent an hour in a McDonald's parking lot in Latta, SC (wherever that is). We finally felt like we were making some progress (80 miles from the Virginia border) when several state troopers when zooming past us with their lights on (yep, a huge accident that closed I-95). Fabulous. We backtracked to some outlets we had just passed in order to pass the time while the accident congestion cleared up (Bonus: we got Gabriel his first pair of running shoes from the Nike outlet; more on that later). Two hours later we got back on the road, only to find out all of I-95 N was being detoured off the interstate, so it was a traffic nightmare. We did manage to pull up google maps in the car and navigate back roads around everyone else, but with Gabriel screaming to get out of his carrier, it didn't seem like much of victory. We pulled into the hotel around 10:30PM, exhausted and cranky. Gabriel had a rough night, which means we did too, and so we started our trip out this morning pretty ragged as well. Don't forget we have the two ya-hoo dogs to add to our frustrations.
Again, Gabriel was just not having being in his carrier. This time we spent an hour and a half in a Rite Aid parking lot somewhere north of Richmond. Once we finally got back on I-95, it was a parking lot (still 60 miles from DC). Andy and I were beginning to lose our sanity and just decided we couldn't take it anymore; plus we hated that Gabriel was so upset in his carrier. So here I am in a hotel in Washington DC, recovering from two days of driving with another 5 hours (at least) to go tomorrow...whew. We are determined to enjoy our little stop over. We went out walking and to dinner in the Georgetown area tonight,and tomorrow we'll probably take Gabriel riding around in his jogger to the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument before we jump back in the car. I hope we are more successful then.
No comments:
Post a Comment