So we begrudgingly took Gabriel to his two month check-up yesterday, a day I have been dreading since I made the appointment last month...shots :(. I can't stand the thought of Gabriel being in pain, but I know that the vaccines are necessary. He actually fared rather well considering he got three needles to the legs; he cried pretty heartily while the doctor stuck him, but Andy was able to get him calmed down within five minutes and he was back to sleep (whew). The whole experience was actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be; not enjoyable by any stretch but tolerable. I suppose these visits get easier? Below Gabriel with his "battle wounds"...
Now, on to the good news! Gabriel weighed in at 10 lbs 14 oz (27th percentile) and is now 24 inches long (87th percentile)...so long and lean seems to be his bag :). The doctor said everything looks great and Gabriel is progressing well in all areas. We snapped a few pictures of his measurements :)
When we asked her about his upset stomach and gas she had a few insights for us to consider, the most interesting being that the lactic acid build up from my recent increase in running may be bothering him. This was a little surprising because I haven't even gone anaerobic on a run yet, so the lactic acid should be minimal, but apparently still present. I'm going to monitor my runs and his reactions more closely in order to detect any possible correlations. She also said he may have a touch of colic, which he will just have to grow out of.
I had hoped to post pictures with this, but I am in the car on the way to Maine and forgot the camera adapter, so it won't be until Friday when we are back in New York. Until then...
UPDATE: pics!
4 comments:
This lactate business makes little sense. You could accumulate more lactate (NOT lactic acid) in the blood after a very intense bout of running, but even after the most severe bout of intense exercise (all-out for 60-90 sec), the lactate level in your blood would be back to normal in 1-2 hours. Also, lactate is a great fuel, and lactate flux can exceed glucose flux during some bouts of exercise.
I'm so sorry that little Gabriel is still having tummy/gas problems. They are not fun & it does make you feel a little helpless. Brayden had a while like that, too, & it was frustrating. I think he just "outgrew" it...if that's possible. I hope that it is over & he is happy & comfy again really soon!
Dear Professor Anonymous: if you're going to leave your 2 cents at least leave your name.
Ash, this is Matthew. Thought that was obvious?
hope Gabe is getting better.
Post a Comment