The New York Road Runners put on a charity race to raise money for Haiti, a 4-miler in Central Park on Saturday. Over 10,000 runners and walkers signed up and raised nearly a half a million dollars. Fortunately, NYRR was able to get enough sponsors such that 100% of the race fee went to the relief fund.
As with most charity runs, the race start was postponed due to all the pre-race guests and activities, so we all stood freezing in our corrals, the course was slow and very crowded, and as a runner there were quite a few non-runners to bob and weave around, but all in all it was a race I was proud to support. I knew going into it that I would not be hitting any PR's, so I tried to just enjoy the run. I even stopped along the course for nearly five minutes just to meet Andy and Gabriel, who had come out to cheer on the other runners and myself. I finished the four miles in 39:29, so again nothing stellar but a decent jaunt in the park.
As most of you know Haiti has always been near and dear to my heart. Even though I have not been back there since I was a small child, and I really only have fragmented memories of the people and places, I still feel a connection to that place...I probably always will. If you haven't already, I encourage everyone to give whatever they can to any number of reputable charities that are assisting in Haiti relief efforts. Every dollar really does make a difference. I am so glad I was able to race for Haiti, as so many Haitians race to piece their lives back together.
Me & G after the race:
As with most charity runs, the race start was postponed due to all the pre-race guests and activities, so we all stood freezing in our corrals, the course was slow and very crowded, and as a runner there were quite a few non-runners to bob and weave around, but all in all it was a race I was proud to support. I knew going into it that I would not be hitting any PR's, so I tried to just enjoy the run. I even stopped along the course for nearly five minutes just to meet Andy and Gabriel, who had come out to cheer on the other runners and myself. I finished the four miles in 39:29, so again nothing stellar but a decent jaunt in the park.
As most of you know Haiti has always been near and dear to my heart. Even though I have not been back there since I was a small child, and I really only have fragmented memories of the people and places, I still feel a connection to that place...I probably always will. If you haven't already, I encourage everyone to give whatever they can to any number of reputable charities that are assisting in Haiti relief efforts. Every dollar really does make a difference. I am so glad I was able to race for Haiti, as so many Haitians race to piece their lives back together.
Me & G after the race:
1 comment:
Cool Ash, so proud of you! What a great cause and glad you were able to participate.
Love Mom
Post a Comment