Andy got up very early Saturday morning to prepare for the race, and woke me just before he left for the start line (around 5AM!). I slept until 6:30, then got up and got ready to go stake out a place on the race course to cheer him on. He had already given me several mile markers with estimated times he would pass by, so I felt sure I would see him at least twice. I left the hotel and hit the DC metro over to the race area. When I came up out of the subway, I only had about 10 minutes to get to mile 12 and see Andy for the first time, which was over half a mile away, so I had to run from the Metro station. I reached mile 12.5 just in time to see Andy (or so I thought). After about 10 more minutes of waiting, I figured either he was having a really good race and I missed him, or he was having a really bad race and was behind his pace. I finally decided that I thought he was having a good race and I had missed him, so I started over to meet him at mile 15 (these two mile markers because of the course layout were actually only about 50 yards apart). I started to jog over and I see from a distance that Andy is just passing the 15 mile mark...I missed him again! Determined not to fail at my second attempt to cheer him on, I took off running diagonally across a park to catch him, screaming his name at the top of my lungs! (I knew he had his iPod blasting)...luckily, he heard me and threw up a wave as I chased after him. I'm quite sure several onlookers in the park were bewildered by the presence of a running, screaming pregnant woman :).
From there, I just headed to the finish line to get a spot to see Andy finish. He came in around 2 hours 46 minutes, which is not his fastest, but still earned him 21st place out of about 2,000 athletes...pretty good in my book!!
After the race, we met up with one of Andy's friends he met through the teaching fellows program in New York and had some lunch at a local brew pub. He was stiff from the race, and I was worn out as usual, so his friend suggested we stroll through Georgetown. It was a really nice area with lots of shops, and it was beneficial to get a good leg stretch through some VERY casual strolling. We hit up a Trader Joe's on the way back to the hotel for some groceries and pretty much turned in for the day.
Sunday morning we were able to sleep in and prepare a liesurely breakfast before heading out to see a few iconic DC attractions, such as the Lincoln Memorial. It was beautiful weather for walking around DC, so we really enjoyed the relaxing time. We headed out around 1pm and decided to make a pit stop in Baltimore at the Inner Harbor to walk around some more and maybe grab some lunch. Neither one of us had ever been to Baltimore, so it was nice to see a whole new city for a few hours (plus it broke up the drive). All in all, a great weekend for racing and for relaxing!
I am now a few days into my 33rd week; below are week 32 and 33 belly shots. This coming weekend I have my ninth and final race of my pregnancy, a 4-mile run in Central Park. I am excited that I have been able to keep up the running, but anxious to get the last race complete so I can just chill out and enjoy the final stages of my pregnancy.

Lastly, we had an ultrasound last Wednesday to check on the growth/weight of Baby Boy Goodwin. If you will remember, he was rather large at our last appointment! He is weighing in at 4 lbs 10 oz now, which the doctors seem to think is more aligned with my gestation time. He is in the 78th percentile for weight, so unless he gets into the 80's or 90's, my doctor thinks I can go all the way to 40 weeks - whew!!
1 comment:
Ashley, you look great!! I'm glad to hear that Baby is doing well and right on track. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend and celebrating with you!!
Post a Comment