CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

1.09.2009

Camaraderie

I've read about the camaraderie of motherhood, especially among pregnant women. Being in the City where everyone is rushing around all of the time, I have not experienced any "connections" with other pregnant women...until this morning. I'll preface this by saying that being pregnant in New York is a lot harder than I thought it would be. For the past two years, I have always found myself rushing; running to catch trains and to make meetings, skipping stairs and maneuvering around crowds of people. And I never found this difficult or frustrating, it's just part of living in the City. I took for granted how much energy (and balance) it actually takes to get places! This week has been particularly telling in this regard, as I fell on the stairs to the subway, got drenched on my way to work because the Metrocard machine in my station was out of order, and got stranded in a dressing room with leg cramps on my lunch break. I have in fact been very discouraged and wondering if I can even make it another 18 weeks pregnant. So, back to my story, it was indeed refreshing this morning to get to experience this camaraderie I speak of. I was on the elevator going up to my office with two other people, a man and woman. The man absolutely wreaked of cigarette smoke, the smell of which these days really makes me gag even more than usual. So, I pulled my scarf up over my nose in protest of his foul odor. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the woman cover her face as well. The man got off first, and we both looked at each other knowingly. It went like this:

Woman: "I don't know how people can stand to smell like cigarette smoke!"

Me: "I know. And I am 5 1/2 months pregnant and cigarette smoke makes me want to vomit!"

Woman: "Me too! I am 6 months pregnant!"

Me: " Oh, congratulations!"

Woman: "Congratualtions to you too!"

(the elevator reaches her floor at this point)

Me: "Have a great day"

Woman: "You too, and good luck!"

I will probably never see this woman again, but it just helps to know that other women are going through the same things I am. I guess I am part of the club now :).

No comments: