
Hello, it is me, the less bloggy side of this blog. The New York City Marathon took place last Sunday and was by far my best marathon experience to date, and was my first “good” race in a few years. My time was almost 17 minutes faster than last years NYC Marathon under worse conditions and 4 minutes faster than my best marathon time EVER!! Here is a recap of how the day went:
I started my morning early at 3 am (only 4 hours of sleep), not on purpose, but I couldn’t sleep. The race started on Staten Island, which is very far away, and not a place you would ever want to visit, but thankfully we would not be running through much of it.
I started my morning early at 3 am (only 4 hours of sleep), not on purpose, but I couldn’t sleep. The race started on Staten Island, which is very far away, and not a place you would ever want to visit, but thankfully we would not be running through much of it.
Nerd BREAK – Did you know Staten Island had the world’s largest landfill until it was closed in 2001? Funny enough, now that garbage is compacted and shipped to South Carolina.
Anyway, I was aboard a bus at 5 am and on Staten Island at 5:30am. It was freezing and windy and dark. I sat on my blanket and read my book, sipping coffee and eating bagels till around 7:30. Before large races like this, it is just a waiting game.
To warm up, I walked around and amazingly found my neighbor who was running his first marathon ever. Got a refill on the coffee and then headed to my starting area. We lined up around 9:15, saw the professional women and wheel chair racers start and then waited for our turn to go. It was ridiculously cold and 20 mph winds were gusting as we stood on the Verrazano Bridge, as we waited to depart from stinky Staten Island.
To warm up, I walked around and amazingly found my neighbor who was running his first marathon ever. Got a refill on the coffee and then headed to my starting area. We lined up around 9:15, saw the professional women and wheel chair racers start and then waited for our turn to go. It was ridiculously cold and 20 mph winds were gusting as we stood on the Verrazano Bridge, as we waited to depart from stinky Staten Island.
Another Nerd BREAK – the Verrazano Bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world when it was built in 1964 and held that title till 1981. It is still the longest suspension bridge in the US.
RACE TIME – My plan was to stick to my pace, which, was on average a 5:54 per mile for all 26.2 miles. As the race started, I shed my extra layers of clothes and threw them to the side and tried to maneuver through the crowds. I was about 1000 people back from the starting line and it took me about 30 seconds to actually get to the start. It was bitter cold and the wind was stinging. As I started, I was a little excited, and ran the first mile 15 seconds faster than I should have, but after that, I was right on pace, mile after mile. The race wound through Brooklyn, which has enormous fan participation. The people were screaming, yelling, offering food and drinks, braving the blustery weather. I ran on, relaxed and comfortable, continuing to pass people and move up in the crowd. I was enjoying it, running easy. Half of the race is spent in Brooklyn, and at the Half Marathon mark, I was at 1:17:15, which, factoring in the 15 seconds too fast on the first mile, I was dead on my goal of 2:35.
The next 2.5 miles were in Queens, which, really, not a whole lot to talk about. Their fan support was better than last year, but still not amazing. The toughest part of the race is through mile 16, where the race turns and climbs up Queens Borough Bridge and approaches Manhattan the first time. It’s a hard climb, and I slowed a little, but held my own. I felt much better here than I did last year, and I was anticipating what was coming next.
At the bottom of the bridge was 1st Avenue, which if you know about this race, is an amazing wall of sound as you leave the bridge. People are yelling, screaming, cheering, lined up 10 people deep at points. It’s an incredible experience, just when you need some energy. At this point, I began to scan the crowd. I knew that Ash and a few friends were out on First Avenue, it was just a matter of spotting them. I kept my eyes on the crowds as they passed with a blur, trying to at least see her. At about the time I thought I had already missed her, I saw her, standing on a barrier, yelling and cheering. With a quick move, I was able to swerve to the left, hop on the railing and plant a big kiss right on her and then get right back into the race with the guy I had been running with. It was a great boost of energy for me, and needless to say, mile 18 was a little faster than it should have beenJ!!
We continued up First Ave to the Bronx, the dreary part of the race. By Mile 19, I was running out of gas, and slipping off my pace. In hopes of boosting my energy, I took a caffeine shot then. It had helped in my practice runs, and I hoped it would pull me through. I just had visions of finishing now, and I had 6 miles to go, still on record pace for me. Last year at this point, I totally collapsed and had to walk for a little. But this year was different; my pace was only slowing to about 6:20 a mile. Things were looking well for me. We crossed another bridge (our 5th and final one) and were now back in Manhattan, and less then 5 miles to go. As I was passing the point last year where I had stopped to walk and stretch and was thinking about how much energy I had left, the unexpected happened: an oblivious bum walked out into the street right in front of my path!! I had no choice but to level him!! I checked him in the chest and laid him out on the ground with full force. I was so pissed off; I think the adrenaline kept me going. Irately I started yelling and screaming and tried to get back to my pace and put it behind me.
My legs grew sluggish and I began to get tired. 5th Avenue was a long, uphill toil. Finally we reached Central Park, and I had 2 miles to go. I was now regretting the caffeine shot I had taken, because my stomach was now turning against me and I figured I could not hold it off for long. I couldn’t pick up the pace at all, but, the familiarity of the park put me at ease. The fans roared and I knew I was almost done. I had practiced this many times before. I continued to pass people as I had most of the race, those poor souls who thought they could go ahead and run fast for the first half and then hang on were dropping left and right. My strategy was paying off. I passed under the “1 Mile To Go!” sign and looked at my watch – 2:33:00. I had 7:00 to run the last mile if I wanted to get under 2:40. I gave it everything I had. We left the park, turned a corner and headed West on Central Park South. Another right at Columbus Circle and we were back in the Park, and I spotted the 26 mile mark!! Only .2 miles to go! What an amazing feeling!! I passed 3 more people and ran as hard as my legs would carry me. I can still feel the goose bumps. I crossed the line, arms held high, exhausted but thrilled. My time was 2:39:22, a personal best and my first “good race” in a year. I had finished 118th, and 41st out of American men, in what is considered to be a hard and slow race.
Now came the worst part: I had to walk another mile just to pick up my stuff!!! It took me a long time. I found Ash afterward, and the two of us walked home to the apartment as we were only a half mile away now. I really did not feel that bad afterward, and shockingly, the next day, I felt fine, with very little soreness. It’s unexplainable!! The NYC Marathon was a great stepping stone toward my goals of running in the Olympics in 2012. Breaking the 2:40 mark is a huge hurdle and puts me into the category of sub-elite, the runners who are not quiet in the pro-level, but are almost there. My next race will be the National Marathon in March in Washington DC, where I hope to break 2:30!!
It was an amazing day for running, and it will only get better. I loved running in my hometown (That’s right, I said it, I’m a New Yorker now!) and seeing places I don’t normally see. I thank God for the talent and abilities he has blessed me and the opportunities he has provided for me. I am also thankful and grateful for my amazing wife who supports me in all that I do, and really understands what running means to me and how badly I want to achieve my goals. And of course, thankful for little Baby Goodwin who was out there cheering me on too, although could stand to be a little less rambunctious because that is making mommy very sickJ!! Bye for now, that’s my lengthy story, hope I did not bore people, but like I said, I don’t do this that often. For more updates on my running, I have my own little blog dealy called http://www.runandy.blogspot.com/. If you went there right now, you will notice it has not been updated, so give me a little time, I will get to it. Gotta Run!
“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift” Steve Prefontaine
RACE TIME – My plan was to stick to my pace, which, was on average a 5:54 per mile for all 26.2 miles. As the race started, I shed my extra layers of clothes and threw them to the side and tried to maneuver through the crowds. I was about 1000 people back from the starting line and it took me about 30 seconds to actually get to the start. It was bitter cold and the wind was stinging. As I started, I was a little excited, and ran the first mile 15 seconds faster than I should have, but after that, I was right on pace, mile after mile. The race wound through Brooklyn, which has enormous fan participation. The people were screaming, yelling, offering food and drinks, braving the blustery weather. I ran on, relaxed and comfortable, continuing to pass people and move up in the crowd. I was enjoying it, running easy. Half of the race is spent in Brooklyn, and at the Half Marathon mark, I was at 1:17:15, which, factoring in the 15 seconds too fast on the first mile, I was dead on my goal of 2:35.
The next 2.5 miles were in Queens, which, really, not a whole lot to talk about. Their fan support was better than last year, but still not amazing. The toughest part of the race is through mile 16, where the race turns and climbs up Queens Borough Bridge and approaches Manhattan the first time. It’s a hard climb, and I slowed a little, but held my own. I felt much better here than I did last year, and I was anticipating what was coming next.
At the bottom of the bridge was 1st Avenue, which if you know about this race, is an amazing wall of sound as you leave the bridge. People are yelling, screaming, cheering, lined up 10 people deep at points. It’s an incredible experience, just when you need some energy. At this point, I began to scan the crowd. I knew that Ash and a few friends were out on First Avenue, it was just a matter of spotting them. I kept my eyes on the crowds as they passed with a blur, trying to at least see her. At about the time I thought I had already missed her, I saw her, standing on a barrier, yelling and cheering. With a quick move, I was able to swerve to the left, hop on the railing and plant a big kiss right on her and then get right back into the race with the guy I had been running with. It was a great boost of energy for me, and needless to say, mile 18 was a little faster than it should have beenJ!!
We continued up First Ave to the Bronx, the dreary part of the race. By Mile 19, I was running out of gas, and slipping off my pace. In hopes of boosting my energy, I took a caffeine shot then. It had helped in my practice runs, and I hoped it would pull me through. I just had visions of finishing now, and I had 6 miles to go, still on record pace for me. Last year at this point, I totally collapsed and had to walk for a little. But this year was different; my pace was only slowing to about 6:20 a mile. Things were looking well for me. We crossed another bridge (our 5th and final one) and were now back in Manhattan, and less then 5 miles to go. As I was passing the point last year where I had stopped to walk and stretch and was thinking about how much energy I had left, the unexpected happened: an oblivious bum walked out into the street right in front of my path!! I had no choice but to level him!! I checked him in the chest and laid him out on the ground with full force. I was so pissed off; I think the adrenaline kept me going. Irately I started yelling and screaming and tried to get back to my pace and put it behind me.
My legs grew sluggish and I began to get tired. 5th Avenue was a long, uphill toil. Finally we reached Central Park, and I had 2 miles to go. I was now regretting the caffeine shot I had taken, because my stomach was now turning against me and I figured I could not hold it off for long. I couldn’t pick up the pace at all, but, the familiarity of the park put me at ease. The fans roared and I knew I was almost done. I had practiced this many times before. I continued to pass people as I had most of the race, those poor souls who thought they could go ahead and run fast for the first half and then hang on were dropping left and right. My strategy was paying off. I passed under the “1 Mile To Go!” sign and looked at my watch – 2:33:00. I had 7:00 to run the last mile if I wanted to get under 2:40. I gave it everything I had. We left the park, turned a corner and headed West on Central Park South. Another right at Columbus Circle and we were back in the Park, and I spotted the 26 mile mark!! Only .2 miles to go! What an amazing feeling!! I passed 3 more people and ran as hard as my legs would carry me. I can still feel the goose bumps. I crossed the line, arms held high, exhausted but thrilled. My time was 2:39:22, a personal best and my first “good race” in a year. I had finished 118th, and 41st out of American men, in what is considered to be a hard and slow race.
Now came the worst part: I had to walk another mile just to pick up my stuff!!! It took me a long time. I found Ash afterward, and the two of us walked home to the apartment as we were only a half mile away now. I really did not feel that bad afterward, and shockingly, the next day, I felt fine, with very little soreness. It’s unexplainable!! The NYC Marathon was a great stepping stone toward my goals of running in the Olympics in 2012. Breaking the 2:40 mark is a huge hurdle and puts me into the category of sub-elite, the runners who are not quiet in the pro-level, but are almost there. My next race will be the National Marathon in March in Washington DC, where I hope to break 2:30!!
It was an amazing day for running, and it will only get better. I loved running in my hometown (That’s right, I said it, I’m a New Yorker now!) and seeing places I don’t normally see. I thank God for the talent and abilities he has blessed me and the opportunities he has provided for me. I am also thankful and grateful for my amazing wife who supports me in all that I do, and really understands what running means to me and how badly I want to achieve my goals. And of course, thankful for little Baby Goodwin who was out there cheering me on too, although could stand to be a little less rambunctious because that is making mommy very sickJ!! Bye for now, that’s my lengthy story, hope I did not bore people, but like I said, I don’t do this that often. For more updates on my running, I have my own little blog dealy called http://www.runandy.blogspot.com/. If you went there right now, you will notice it has not been updated, so give me a little time, I will get to it. Gotta Run!
“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift” Steve Prefontaine
1 comment:
That's absolutely incredible and we congratulate you on an amazing feat!! ~Rob & Chrissy
Post a Comment