Gabriel's birthday was SO much fun this year. We decided to do a joint party with one of his friends whose birthday is close to his, Kathryn. They have "known" each other since they were four months old and have always been in nursery and children's church classes together. Kathryn's mom, Jennifer, is one of my very good friends here in the City too, so it was really fun to plan the party together. Gabriel's theme was Cars, of course, and Kathryn's was Rainbow (by the way, I have to give props for the rainbow birthday cake idea via Brooke E. via her sister in law, Jennifer loved the idea when I showed her your blog pics!). We also enjoyed having family in town to join in the festivities!
 |
| Helping make his cake! |
 |
| At the Party! |
 |
| Birthday boy and girl |
 |
| the spread |
 |
| I guess some of the kids were tired from all of the fun? |
 |
| Judah enjoying the fun |
Gabriel and Kathryn were both so excited the days leading up to their big party, and both helped make their own birthday cakes. The party was rampant with kiddos, aged 3 and under, and it was crazy, but we all had a blast. Gabriel was not too keen on the Pin the Tail on the Donkey game, but he thought the pull string pinata was pretty cool. And I don't know how they did it, but literally the very last string to be pulled by the kids was the one to release the trap door. We were all sure it was going to be the first. Explain that to me statisticians! Lastly, full (full) credit goes to Andy for single-handedly creating Gabriel's awesome, awesome cake (even after I goofed up the first cake batch!):
After a morning full of birthday party, we headed home to open gifts. Gabriel was thrilled with each and every thing he received ... his last present was from Andy and me and was his bike. We were so excited to give this to him. He mastered his scooter, his 2 year old birthday gift, and now it is time to learn to bike. As soon as he opened it, he said "I gone ride this in the house right now". And he tried to ride it down the hallway, but clearly our apartment is too small for that, so he immediately offered "can we go outside and ride?", to which of course we replied with an emphatic YES.
 |
| Opening gifts |
 |
| Some of the loot; Gabriel <3's cars + trucks! |
 |
| New trampoline! (this gift is for Mommy too, a place for G to expend energy indoors) |
 |
| Informing us he is going to ride inside |
 |
| Nope, outside is better! |
I have to say he did surprisingly well for his first ride out, getting used to the balance (it is a strider pedal-less bike, so they scoot along swinging their feet, then when they upgrade to a real bike, it eliminates the need for training wheels. Genius). We're so excited to see him learn this new skill and become a trickster on his bike like he is on his scooter!
All in all a wonderful weekend that I will always remember!
1 comment:
Yay! Glad my blog post inspired you! Gabriel's cake was so great too!! P.S. I love those pedaless bikes! Can't wait for Sarah to get one.
Post a Comment