CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

2.16.2011

ASPEN

Gabriel and I, and Aunt Laurel, were lucky enough to take a long weekend trip out to Aspen, CO where Aunt Steph is currently working. So we packed up Thursday afternoon, said a pensive farewell to Andy and the pups, and headed to Harrisburg to meet up with Laurel for the flight out. I was a bit concerned about flying with Gabriel, and even though I've done it four times now, he has been at differing stages and I never know what to expect. Thank the Lord for sisters! The flight to Chicago, then Aspen, went pretty smoothly. Gabriel behaved himself and even slept for almost two hours on the longer flight. Would this travel miracle repeat itself on the way home three days later? Read on.

We had a great time in Aspen, it is breathtaking there. We went sledding, I went running (well hill repeats so I could circle back and make sure G was okay, he was out of sorts for most of the trip and very clingy poor boy), we sampled a few of the local restaurants and of course picked up the perfunctory souvenirs. Every night was movie rental night once G went to bed, something Andy and I never get to do. We had some great sister time! I do have to say, though, that this was a long stretch to play single parent...thank the Lord for Andy while I am at it!! 

I think my favorite part was the last night we were there. Steph had scouted out this local deal where they had half priced chicken sandwiches for dinner...perfect for her frugalista sister! So, there are "local" deals here, eh? Tell me more. Turns out there are a few restaurants with local deals that, well, only the locals know about. Thankfully I am in with one such local. 

So. We decided to go on a food crawl, or progressive dinner, whatever you want to call it. We started at La Palapa, a great little Mexican place that had $1.75 tacos, Mmmmm. Then headed over to the tavern with the chicken sandwich deal. Delicious. Not to mention ginormous! Last, over to CP Burger for truffle fries and a milk shake! Aunt Steph and Gabriel split a chocolate shake while Aunt Laurel and I split a spiked coffee toffee shake. So. Good. As we were leaving, the very nice but hopped-up-on-way-too-much-red bull server (we didn't see him blink the entire time!) came over and gave Gabriel a small cup of M&M's...at first he did not know what to do with them because I don't let him eat candy...but it's vacation, and I had just let him have a milkshake which is a deviation from his norm as well, so why not? He played with the first few until they dropped on the ground, but once he bit into one, it was over. He finished the small cup (literally only 5-6 M&M's). Welcome to vacation Gabriel :).

Monday morning it was time to leave :(. Thus began our not-so-miraculous-as-previously-hoped trip home. Let me see if I can sum it up:

- 10:35 am arrive at Aspen airport for 11:36 flight, takes United agent 20 minutes to figure out how to check the carseat
- 11:10 am hear announcement over the intercom while just beginning to go through security that says "Miller/Goodwin board plane immediately!" ... Laurel rushes her and Gabriel to the gate while I gather the bags from security
- 11:20 am Laurel & Gabriel are on plane and gate agent doesn't want to let me through because they've completed boarding, where I then yell "my son is on that plane!" ... I am allowed to board while everyone scowls at me...the plane is off the ground at 11:29am ...
- Gabriel is fussy but tolerable for most of the flight, asking for Aunt Laurel every time I tell him he can't do something, falls asleep with 30 minutes left in the flight; I am the last person off the plane
- The three of us schlep from terminal F to B to C, back to B then back to F (luggage and all in tow) all in attempt to find kid friendly restaurant to burn our 3 hour layover. Johnny Rockets it is...yes our DOUBLE burgers and large shakes were delicious
- We make our way back from terminal F, to B to C again with all the luggage and Gabriel deciding he wants to play the silly my legs are noddles game and fall on the floor every 5 feet. Fabulous.
- We arrive at our gate with about 30 minutes to waste and become delirious while Gabriel hangs from a handrail kicking the glass with his feet and runs around slapping garbage cans
- We board another plane to Harrisburg, Gabriel screams at the top of his lungs and throws things until Aunt Laurel is able to calm him down finally
- 8:40 pm, we land and avoid all eye contact with fellow passengers
- The End

Overall, it was a great trip, trying, but great. We were more than happy to get home Tuesday afternoon and I know Andy was glad to have us home. Gabriel is acting himself again, I guess he missed home more than I anticipated he would. Chalk another one up to Live and Learn...


3 comments:

susan said...

Great story!!!! It made me lol, love the pics

susan said...

Being a parent is a new experience every day,, huh? I was thinking back and could easily replace Gabriels name with a little girl named Ashley within your story. Just too funny, you can't make this stuff up. roflol.

Love u guys
Dad

-k- said...

Oh my gosh! I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for sharing. The whole story made me smile but I laughed out loud when I read "...Gabriel deciding he wants to play the silly my legs are noddles game and fall on the floor every 5 feet. Fabulous." Glad you had a good trip!