CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

1.01.2011

Midnight Run

I registered for the Midnight Run to celebrate New Year's Eve and kick off the new year! We've lived here for just over 4 years now and I have yet to run this race, so I decided this year was the year! We woke Gabriel up around 11pm to head out to the park (I know, shame shame!!). 

The run started right at midnight, but they had music, dancing, and a costume parade pre-race...also included in the festivities were sparkling cider at mile 2 and ringing in the new year with the Emerald nuts! I didn't don a costume, per se, for the run...buuuuut I did dye my hair pink, color coordinate my race gear and slapped on some colorful make-up...the latter two are always no-no's for runners in my book, but who cares tonight!


So this all sounds well and good, but let me just inform you that Andy I certainly forfeited our chance at Parents of the Year award. We thought this was somewhat of a family friendly event, and although watching all the hammered party goers was slightly amusing, we literally saw only 5 other strollers with small children in them. Five. Among over 5,000 people celebrating New Year's Eve in the park. My guilt and shame grew by the minute as strange stare after ridiculing glance was thrown our way. It didn't help that poor Gabriel looked like a zombie in the jogger, awake but not all there. 


We thought that when the fireworks went off at midnight, he would perk up. After all, this was one of the main reasons we brought him out here. The plan was to see the fireworks, then start the race, run 4 miles, and go home. Turns out booming, bright fireworks scare the daylights out of 19 month olds! Gabriel was petrified, nearly jumped out of his jogger and asked to go home :(. I immediately bagged the race, held Gabriel tight and bolted for home. 


So I didn't get to actually run the race (can I count the mile or so I ran down to the start line??)... and once we got back home Gabriel was fine, so now this New Year's is a comical, although incriminating, story. Happy New Year!





No comments: