CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR COLORADO BLOG!!

3.04.2016

Mohawk Mountain

Our one and only ski trip this season! Gabriel hasn't skied since we lived in CO, and Judah has never skied. We had high expectations for the day and it did not disappoint. We got up early enough so that we would arrive at the slope as soon as it opened (this is a small little "resort" about an hour away in CT, family run though and super quaint, and clean). Getting everyone out of the car and outfitted was a challenge, of course, but once we got everyone up and running (including a helmet rental for G, during which Judah and I comically made our way to the magic carpet ... let's just say I am a little rusty and navigating a four year old on skis was tricky), we were set.

I took the boys up on the magic carpet and Judah was ready to go. I took one run down with him between my legs and he was almost frantic to get back to the magic carpet for another try. On this, his second try, he wanted to go by himself. So, with Andy at the bottom, I lined him up and let him go. This would pretty much set the tone for the day. He floated down the bunny slope right to Andy. G was a little more timid, but still seemed determined. It wasn't long before we ditched the magic carpet and bunny slope and went over to the first green.

Getting the hang of the chair lift was tricky for the boys, and for us sometimes to wrangle them in their skis, but that part was mostly uneventful ... and the slope wasn't crowded at all. Judah continued to do well, and Gabriel was holding his own. He was more prone to bail when he started going to fast, but he got more and more confidence as the day wore on. At lunch time we thought the boys were getting tired and we may have only an hour or two left, but something clicked with them and they got a second wind and it was like we couldn't keep up with them charging for the chair lift every time they got to the bottom of the hill. Sometimes Judah was so far ahead there were other adults looking around for his grown up until I skied up. 

We took one chance on a more difficult hill, on a longer ski lift further up the mountain. It probably wasn't the best idea, but I'm still glad we did it. I ended up skiing all the way down with Judah between my skis (back breaking and sweat drenching work), and Andy did the same with G between his skis. I think they enjoyed it, but it only lasted for that one run. Back to the Green!

We were really amazed with how well Judah "got" skiing. He commented how he was bending his knees to keep his balance better, and squatting down a little to go faster (neither of which were pointers from us). Gabriel really was skiing pretty flawlessly by the end of the afternoon, but Judah was just tearing it up, hopping off the chair lift and zooming down the hill. I think he liked what it felt like to better at something than Gabriel. Oh boy. 

As much as we hated to, we finally drug the boys off the mountain around 7pm ... 10 hours of skiing. Undeterred by the night skiing, they would have closed the place down if we had let them. We loaded our weary selves into the car and I immediately started searching for a place to grab dinner on the way home. I found a BBQ joint along a local highway, so we decided to try it. The boys couldn't stay awake, but we ordered them some macaroni and cheese and woke them up to eat some. They took a few bites and went back to sleep. Meanwhile Andy and I gobbled ours up. It did not disappoint.

We are already excited to come back next year, it was a great day for skiing!  










No comments: