What can I say about Judah at age 3? To sum it up, he is basically a walking, breathing oxymoron. For example, he is affectionate and loves to cuddle but is extremely independent, he is funny but so serious, he is full of energy but contemplative, he is happy but also oppositional (see independent above), and he is gregarious but very discerning with people. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Judah is the kind of kid that will randomly run up to me, give me a big hug and kiss on the cheek and exclaim "I love you SO much!" then run off laughing ... he is also the kid that will firmly plant himself in the middle of the sidewalk on a busy street and refuse to move because he is not getting his way. You never know what you are going to get with Judah, he is constantly surprising us. If I had to choose just one word to describe him at this age it would be this: delicious.
When we had his parent/teacher conference with his pre-school teachers, they provided a list of adjectives that they thought described Judah at school. Here is Judah's list:
- articulate
- independent
- observant
- a thinker and a doer
- rich
- lots of questions and lots of answers
- funny
- serious
- silly
- dear
We thought this was a pretty accurate picture of Judah on a daily basis. What we also love about Judah is his recent tendency so make up non-sense words, and then use them correctly in context. Here are just a few examples:
Booshed - wrinkly hands in the bath ('my fingers are booshed')
Yep-a-pa - couldn't get a definition on this one
Glad-it - this one either
Wingers - the webbing between fingers
Foose - opening or closing an umbrella ('I'm going to foose it down and then foose it open')
Foofey - pool noodle
Yep-a-pa - couldn't get a definition on this one
Glad-it - this one either
Wingers - the webbing between fingers
Foose - opening or closing an umbrella ('I'm going to foose it down and then foose it open')
Foofey - pool noodle
I wish I had a more extensive list, but it is often hard to stop what I am doing and find a pen and some paper to write down a new word.
Judah loves bath time and any interaction with water (such as standing on a stool at the kitchen sink washing plastic dishes for the better part of an hour), he loves reading and sounding out letter sounds, he is determined, he is a classically active boy bursting with energy, he is rather dexterous, loves fire trucks and magnatiles, and he adores Gabriel (most of the time) and likes playing with older boys, such as Gabriel's friends.
To elaborate on determined, Judah knows what he wants and will do whatever it takes to get it. For example, recently my mom and I were in the back of the apartment discussing something when Judah suddenly appeared with a plate of mini banana muffins. "Where did you gets those?" I wondered (knowing that I had made a batch and put them in the freezer for a quick breakfast option). His response? "I went and got them out of the freezer and I heated them up for you! Here ya go!". He had gone into the kitchen, climbed on a stool and retrieved the bag of muffins out of the freezer, then opened the bad and took 3 out and placed them on a plate. He then put them in the microwave and heated them up, amazingly to the correct temperature. I had no idea he knew how to use the microwave! Perhpas this is better labeled "resourceful"?
Also, another anecdote, when he wants something and is told he may not have it, he says plainly (not defiantly) "Well, I am just going to go get (fill in the blank)" and then he does just that. Sometimes we are laughing too hard to discipline him for this.
Judah also talks with his hands, which I know most people do to some extent, but something about his mannerisms with he does this is just adorable. Also adorable is his little lisp and how he pronounces all Ls as Ws (let's go to Wenny's! aka Lenny's bagel shop).
PS - I've added these after my original post, other things I want to remember about Judah at age 3 that have randomly come to mind:
- He is a climber, you can almost always find him standing on top of the kitchen counter, cabinets wide open, helping himself to a cup, plate, or even food
- He loves to snuggle and when I lay down with him some nights he will cup my face with his hands and fall asleep that way; he also loves to rub his little nose on mine before he closes his eyes to sleep
- other cute word mispronunciations: panpake (pancake) and still peek-a-butter (peanut butter)
- he loves to be helpful and often uses phrases like "I can help ya!" or "oh! i can do that for you" ... or I'll walk into the kitchen and he's making me coffee "I'm makin' ya some coffee mommy!" (we do the pour over so he knows how to fill the coffee cone and that we pour water from the kettle to make coffee)
- he most often articulates any upset feelings (mad, frustrated, sad, etc) by saying "i'm sad"
To elaborate on determined, Judah knows what he wants and will do whatever it takes to get it. For example, recently my mom and I were in the back of the apartment discussing something when Judah suddenly appeared with a plate of mini banana muffins. "Where did you gets those?" I wondered (knowing that I had made a batch and put them in the freezer for a quick breakfast option). His response? "I went and got them out of the freezer and I heated them up for you! Here ya go!". He had gone into the kitchen, climbed on a stool and retrieved the bag of muffins out of the freezer, then opened the bad and took 3 out and placed them on a plate. He then put them in the microwave and heated them up, amazingly to the correct temperature. I had no idea he knew how to use the microwave! Perhpas this is better labeled "resourceful"?
Also, another anecdote, when he wants something and is told he may not have it, he says plainly (not defiantly) "Well, I am just going to go get (fill in the blank)" and then he does just that. Sometimes we are laughing too hard to discipline him for this.
Judah also talks with his hands, which I know most people do to some extent, but something about his mannerisms with he does this is just adorable. Also adorable is his little lisp and how he pronounces all Ls as Ws (let's go to Wenny's! aka Lenny's bagel shop).
PS - I've added these after my original post, other things I want to remember about Judah at age 3 that have randomly come to mind:
- He is a climber, you can almost always find him standing on top of the kitchen counter, cabinets wide open, helping himself to a cup, plate, or even food
- He loves to snuggle and when I lay down with him some nights he will cup my face with his hands and fall asleep that way; he also loves to rub his little nose on mine before he closes his eyes to sleep
- other cute word mispronunciations: panpake (pancake) and still peek-a-butter (peanut butter)
- he loves to be helpful and often uses phrases like "I can help ya!" or "oh! i can do that for you" ... or I'll walk into the kitchen and he's making me coffee "I'm makin' ya some coffee mommy!" (we do the pour over so he knows how to fill the coffee cone and that we pour water from the kettle to make coffee)
- he most often articulates any upset feelings (mad, frustrated, sad, etc) by saying "i'm sad"
No comments:
Post a Comment